Paperless!

w84 - Version 2 In my last blog post I shared a project my students and I are working on, digital portfolios for student-led conferences. That post described what we are doing, why we are doing this, and the resources we are using to accomplish this. There are some really great people out there sharing technology resources, strategies, and lots of valuable educational information to help us all improve our craft. I follow many of them. So instead of just passing on lists of resources, I will only pass on resources that have actually been used by me, a colleague, or my students. My posts will describe the resource and how it is being used. That means you will find out about my failures as well as my successes.

With that said, the Livebinders are catching on fast with my students. They are finding out ways to do things in them that I didn’t even think about. Isn’t that usually the case? After posting I ran across Teach Paperless, a blog that is dedicated to sharing information and resources that will assist teachers as they try to end the never ending stacks of paper and standing in line at the copy machine. 10 Reasons to Have a Paperless Classroom , by Steve Katz, really says it much better than I did. There are multiple contributes with some great resources. I will be exploring these.

One of my new discoveries this week was PDF to Word. I have tried some of these resources before without much success. This resource renewed my faith. Not only is if FREE, but it WORKED. You simply upload your document (.pdf) and select the format you want it converted to (.doc or .rtf). Then type in your email address. Within a few minutes my document was in my inbox. I was using it to fill out some forms. These were one page documents. I will have to try it with something longer later.
Why anyone would put a non-fillable pdf file out there. Maybe some of you have a typewriter stashed away somewhere, not me! It seems that more and more organizations are putting their forms, applications, and other documents into formats that can be completed online. Those that don’t get on board may just be left in the dust.

Finally, some of us have been around a few years and were taught certain typing skills like the double space after the period. It has been brought to my attention that this is no longer acceptable. I will do my best not to offend anyone and try to elminate any double spaces after periods before posting. Please be patient and understanding of those baby boomers like myself that are having difficulty breaking old habits. 🙂

Let me know your thoughts and ideas. Have you tried something new lately? How did it go?

Until Wednesday….