Hello world!

My Very First Post
Wow, I am really going to do this. Share my thinking, research, questions, etc… with others. A little scary to say the least. Will anyone read this? Does anyone really care about what I have to say? Maybe, maybe not. Let me tell you a little about what you can expect from this blog by telling you a little about myself. Yes, you can read the my profile, but that doesn’t really tell you about me and what you might find on this sight over time. Then you can decide if you would like to follow my ramblings.

One thing needs to be made clear. I am not an expert at anything. In fact, you might say that I know just enough to be dangerous. As my grandfather use to say, “I am a jack of all trades but a master of none.” My life experiences are a little different than most educators as all of my experience has not been spent in education. Of course I have spent a good portion of my life taking classes, attending conferences and workshops, or in some learning environment. You might say that lifelong learning is has always been a part of my life.

Look up avid reader in the dictionary and you might just see a picture of me. If there were a way for me to make a living by reading it would be hard to choose between reading and teaching. 🙂 There is alway a book with me (thank you Amazon for the Kindle) and my reading collection (both read and to read) includes…

professional titles concerning teaching and education.
professional titles on technology in the classroom and integrating technology into curriculum.
picture books.
teen and young adult titles of all genres (even poetry and graphic novels – both of which are not my favorite).
adult fiction of a variety of genres even fluff romance (we all have to have an escape)
adult nonfiction (political, economic, biography, etc).
blogs, magazines, news articles, and more.

The past year has found my education focus on authentic learning, authentic assessment, literacy, and technology integration. Might as well say it now – WE CANNOT IGNORE 21st LEARNING. There will be many posts along these lines. It has been a constant goal for me to improve my own teaching skills and expand my knowledge of good practice. However, it is not enough to learn about it, how do we implement these new ideas, strategies, and technologies in meaningful ways. You will notice that I am just like many of you – a teacher trying to do her best for her students. With each post I will look forward to hearing from you.

With that said, there are many others out there that are passing on some great information through blogs, social networking, books, articles, and more. This blog will share some of that as well as how I may have used the information that others have so graciously provided. It also must be said that this blog will “evolve” over time. Things will be added, taken away, and hopefully improved. Many of these changes will be based on my learning with and from you!

My political views will probably show through from time to time. So you might as well know that my views lean toward moderate conservative. Is that the right way to say it? But those that know me know there is nothing better than a good discussion between friends with different ideas. Of course, all views are appreciated as long as the discussion is respectful.

What does it all boil down to? I will share thoughts about 21st Century Educational Skills and hope you will contribute to our learning and craft. Share your ideas and experiences (even the failures – that is how we learn).

We must also share the humor that goes along with our profession. Laughter helps us to live longer and (in my opinion) be better people. With that said, I must share a YouTube video that I found after witnessing two colleagues perform this routine. Hope you enjoy and I look forward to sharing and learning with you.

2 thoughts on “Hello world!